Mrs. Celeste C. Tanchoco, Scientist III and Division Chief of the Nutrition Science and Technology Division, is a DrPH candidate, a Master of Public Health degree holder and a graduate of Bachelor of Science in Home Economics major in Nutrition and Dietetics from the University of the Philippines. She has been with the Institute for more than 20 years and has proven her expertise in food and nutrition research particularly in the field of clinical nutrition studies.
As a researcher on clinical nutrition, she led studies which included glycemic effect of food, enteral nutrition, conjunctival imprint cytology, tolerance to high dose of vit. A (which served as basis for the policy formulation of the Department of Health), risk to osteoporosis, knee height and arm span as proxy indicators for height, egg consumption study, and medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) oil in the management of childhood diarrhea study. Recently concluded, are studies on Effectiveness of Whiz Kids Program and Kineti-Kids Fitness Program for School children.
Her professional experiences are varied, having worked as nutrition promoter, therapeutic dietitian, nutrition researcher, member of the academic and research administrator. She has been active in continuing education activities of medical and nutrition professional societies, as consultant or resource person in seminars and training programs in human nutrition.
As a Nutrition Promoter in 1970–1972 at the Nutrition Promotion Branch, Food and Nutrition Research Institute she led in the development and conduct of the “Nutrition School On the Air.” The module served as the model for similar projects. She served as trainor of participants of the applied nutrition program.
In 1972-1984, she served as Therapeutic Dietitian of the University of the Philippines-Philippine General Hospital. She was responsible for the implementation of the nutritional care plan of patients: nutritional assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation; training of student affiliates; administrative functions and research activities in the therapeutic section.
In her 12-year stay at UP-PGH, she has managed the nutritional care planning of pediatric patients with feeding problems such as lactose intolerance, small-for-gestational age infants, gastroenteritis and malabsorption syndrome.
Outstanding accomplishment at the UP-PGH is the development of instructional materials for different therapeutic diets and the co-author of “Nutritional Management of Burn Patient” which won the research award in surgery.
- 1989 Nutritionist-Dietitian of the Year given by the Nutritionist-Dietitians’ Association of the Philippines (NDAP)
- 1989 Fellow in Clinical Nutrition given by the Philippine Association of Nutrition (PAN)
- Most Outstanding Health Professional by the Professional Regulation Commission
- 1995 Special Citation for Leadership in Nutrition and dietetics by NDAP
- 1998 Philippine Exchange Scientist of the DOST-JSPS
- 2000 Outstanding Nutritionist-Dietitian in nutrition education and research
- 2003 Outstanding Professional in the field of Nutrition and Dietetics by the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC)
- 2004 Awardee by the Centennial Commission on Women in Health.
- Tanchoco, CC, Villadolid, MF, Natividad, AS, Rodriguez, MP, Martin, AB, Santos, RL, Udarbe, MA, Lainez, WN. 2000. Technical Feasibility of Developing an Instant Tube Feeding Formula. The Philippine Journal of Science 129(2):77-84.
- Tanchoco, CC, Cruz, AJ, Duante, CA, Litonjua, AD. 2003. Prevalence of Metabolic Syndrome among Filipino Adults Aged 20 years and Over. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition 12(3):271-281.
- Candelaria, LV, Magsadia, CR, Velasco, RE, Pedro, MRA, Barba, CVC, Tanchoco, CC. 2005. The Effect of Vitamin A-fortified Coconut Cooking Oil on the Serum Retinol Concentration of Filipino Children 4-7 Years Old. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition 14(1):43-53.
- Tanchoco, CC, Villadolid, MF, Duante, CA. 2003. Nutritional Profile of Some Menopausal Women. Philippine Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 27(2):62-69.
- Tanchoco, CC, Cruz, AJ, Suarez, CA, Rodriguez, MP, Villadolid, MF. 2003. Effects of Coconut-Derived MCT Oil Supplementation on the Endurance Performance of Healthy Young Filipino Athletes. The Philippine Journal Of Coconut Studies 27(1&2):1-16.
- Tanchoco, CC, Cruz, AJ, Cabrera, MIZ. 2003. Nutritional Guidelines for Filipinos 2000: Evidence Report. Journal of Nutritionist-Dietitians’ Association of the Philippines 17(2):66-78.
- Tanchoco, CC, Villadolid, MF, Duante, CA, Limbaga, MLS, Yee, GA. 2003-2004. Risk Factors Associated with Osteoporosis among Filipino Adults. The Journal of Philippine Medical Association July 2002-June 2004 Centennial Issue: 9-29.
- Tanchoco, CC. 2003. Research Networking Activities and Teaching: Touching Base with Other Professionals. Journal of Nutritionist-Dietitians’ Association of the Philippines 7(1):32-36.
- Gayya, CT, Yuchingtat, GP, Solanzo, FG, Lantin, JRT, Lumba, CC, Tanchoco, CC, Castillo, EV. 2002. A Preliminary Study on the Physical Activity Levels (PALs) of Some Filipino Adults from Different Occupational Groups. Philippine Journal of Nutrition 49(3&4):69-89.
- Panugao, MP, Yuchingtat, GP, Solanzo, FG, Gayya, CT, Tanchoco,CC. 2002. Development of an Energy-Calculator (e-calc) Software. Journal of Nutritionist-Dietittians’ Association of the Philippines 16(3&4):399-344.
- Cea, EE, Tanchoco, CC, Cunanan, MG, Orense, CL. 2003. Assessment of Physical Activity of a Group of Filipino Adults using a Questionnaire. Journal of Nutritionist-Dietitians’ Association of the Philippines 17(4):144–158.
- “Tolerance of Pre-Schoolers to Two Dosage Strengths of Vitamin A Preparation”. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 52:694-700, 1990.
- R.F. Florentino, C.C. Tanchoco, M.P. Rodriguez, A.J. Cruz and W.L. Molano. 1996. Interactions Among Micronutrient Deficiencies and Undernutrition in the Philippines. Biomedical and Environmental Science 9:348-357.
- Relationship of Conjunctival Impression Cytology with Clinical and Biochemical Assessment of Vitamin A Status of Pre-schoolers”. Asia Pacific J. Clin. Nutr. 7(2):160-163, 1998.
- Enteral Feeding in Stable COPD Patients. Respirology 6(1):43-50, 2001.
- “FNRI’s Clinical Nutrition Researches for Nutrition Intervention: Retrospect and Prospect”. Phil. Journal of Science 118(2) April-June, 1989.
- “Maximizing Application and Adoption of the Nutritional Guidelines for the Prevention of Chronic Degenerative Diseases”. Phil. Journal of Science 122 (1), 1993.
- “Nutritional Aspects of Emerging Diseases in Modernizing Societies: A Reaction”.
Journal of NDAP 4(3), July-August 1990.
- “Nutrition and Nutrition-Related Health Problems in the Philippines”. Journal of NDAP 4(3), July-August 1990.
- “Nutrition, Diet and Cancer”. J. of NDAP 3(1), Jan-Mar 1989.
- “Besetting Nutritional Problems of Children with Insulin-Dependent Diabetes Mellitus”. Journal of NDAP 6(4), 1992.
- “Nutrition Support for Respiratory Compromised Patients”. Journal of NDAP 8(3) July-Sept, 1994.
- “Role of Nutritionist-Dietitians in a Nutritional Assessment Team”. Journal of NDAP 12(4) Oct.-Dec., 1998
- “Third Nationwide Nutrition Survey: Clinical and Anthropometric Phase”. Journal of Phil. Med. Assoc. 66 (1), July-Sept. 1990.
- “Survey of Blenderized Diets. Phase I. Blenderized Feeding Practices”. Hospital Journal 22(4), 1990.
- “Survey of Blenderized Diets. Phase II. Nutrient Composition of Blenderized Diets”. Hospital Journal 22(4), 1990.
- “Survey of Blenderized Diets. Phase III. Microbial Analysis of Blenderized Diets.” Hospital Journal 22(4), 1990.
- Glycemic Effect of Different Sources and Form of Carbohydrate Foods and Levels of Fiber”. Phil. Journal of Int. Medicine 29(3), May-June, 1991.
- “Nutritional Guidelines for the Prevention of Chronic Degenerative Diseases”. Journal of Phil. Med. Assoc. 68(3), Jan-Mar, 1993.
- “Effects of Unpolished Rice with Varying Levels of Fiber on Blood Glucose Response”. Phil. J. of Int. Medicine. 32(1): 1994.
- “FNRI Guidelines for Enteral Alimentation”. Phil. Journal of Surgical Specialities 50(2), Apr-June, 1995.
- Clinical Trials for an Instant Tube Feeding Formula in Enterally-fed Patients in a Hospital Setting. Phil J of Surgical Specialties 54(3):127-134, 1999.
- Nutritional Status of Older Persons in the Phils. FNRI Perspective. Phil. Journal of Nutri. 46(1-4):21-36, 1999
- Nutritional Guidelines for Filipinos 2000: The Development Process. J of NDAP December 2000.
- “Estimation of Calcium, Phosphorus and Fluid Content Per Exchange”. Phil. J. of Nutr. 39(3&4), July-Dec. 1986.
- “Developing a Handbook for the Nutritional Management of Renal Diseases”. Phil. J. of Nutr. 40(3&4), July-Dec. 1987
- “Fiber: Sense or Non-sense”. Journal of NDAP 4(4), Oct.-Dec. 1990.
- “Development of a Handbook for Renal Patients’ Use”. Journal of NDAP 7(3), July-Sept. 1993.
- “Evaluation and Revision of the Food Exchange Lists for Meal Planning”. Journal of NDAP 8(2), Apr-June, 1994.
- “Comparison of Conjunctival Impression Cytology with Clinical and Biochemical Methods of Vitamin A Status Assessment of Preschoolers”. Journal of NDAP 8(4), Oct.-Dec., 1994.
- Prevalence of Energy Intake-Related Problems among Filipinos Based on BMI as Parameter”. Journal of NDAP 9(3), July-Sept.,1995.
- A User-Friendly Software for Determining Personal Food Needs. Philippine Technology Journal 22(1): 1-3, Jan.-Mar. 1997.
- Translation and Publication of Nutritional Guidelines for the Prevention of Chronic Degenerative Diseases to Five Dialects. Philippine Technology Journal 19(1): 31-35, Jan.-Mar. 1994
- “FNRI Contribution to the Control of Vitamin A Deficiency”. Phil. Journal of Science 120 (1), Jan-Mar., 1991.
- “Effects of Calcium Supplementation of Mild Hypertensive Adult Filipinos: A Report of Six Cases”. Phil. J. Int. Med. 31 (3): May-June, 1993.
- Survey on Awareness, Perception and Extent of Usage of Nutraceuticals and Dietary Supplement in Metro Manila. J of Medicinal Food 3(4): 181-188, 2000.
- “The Effect of Calcium Nutriture on the Development of Osteoporosis Among Filipino Adults.” Phil. Journal of Nutrition 49(3-4):6-16, July–Dec., 2002.
- “The Relationship of Calcium Intake and Blood Pressure to Bone Density in Filipino Adults.” Phil. Journal of Internal Med. 40(6): 313-318, Nov.-Dec., 2002.
- Revision of the Food Exchange List. Phil. J. of Nutr., 1986
- An Update of Sodium and Potassium Content of Some Foods Per Exchange.
Phil. J. of Nutr. 38(2), Apr-June, 1985.
- An Update on Crude Fiber Content of Some Foods Per Exchange. Phil. J. of Nutr. 38(2), Apr-June, 1985.
- The Effects of Diet with Varying Iron Bioavailability on the Maternal and Neonatal Iron Status. Journal of NDAP, July-Sept. 1989.
- Maternal Nutrition and Its Effect on Nutrition Status and Birthweight. Phil. J. of Obstetrics & Gynecology, 14 (3), July-Sept. 1990.
- Nutrition Surveys in Selected Regions of the Philippines. 1986. Part B: Anthropometric Assessment. Phil. J. of Nutr. 41(3&4), July-Dec. 1994.
- “Nutritional Care of Patients with Renal Disease”. Nutrisyon 9(1), Dec. 1985
- “Nutritional Care of Cancer Patients”. Heartbeat of the Critical Care Nurses Association. 1987.